Monday, February 16, 2009

Five Years Ago...

William Michael Flashnick was born!

It was a Monday and it was also President's Day. Funny how that works out!

He came into this world at 7:05pm, weighing in at 8 pounds, 9 ounces and 21 inches long.

Todd is always amazed that I remember all these details. I guess it's a Mom thing. I remember everything (about all three boys' births) like they were yesterday. So, here's the story leading up to his birth.

I finished work on Friday the 13th! We spent our last Valentine's Day as a childless couple by hanging out at home and grilling steak for dinner. Oh yeah, it also snowed that morning. I was worried I wouldn't be able to get my hair cut because of the snow, but it melted in time! I also went and got a pedicure and my eyebrows waxed. The latter two became a tradition the next two times!! I can't have funky toes and bushy eyebrows for "labor" day!

My Dad came into town that night. My Mom showed up the next day. On Sunday, we just relaxed. In 24 hours, our lives were going to change forever!

I remember having a minor panic attact Sunday night. I think Todd even got it on video. I've had 9 months to prepare - yet I was freaking out! I would say that's pretty normal though!

We were told we needed to be at the hospital by 7:00 and they'd start the induction around 8:00.

Everything pretty much went as planned - except the epidural. First, Todd almost fainted while the doc was putting the needle in! I think a common misconception about epidurals is totally numb/no pain/no pressure = a good epidural. Not true (as I later found out with Cameron's birth)...it's good to feel enough to know what you're doing, but not have the pain associated with it. I was so numb, I didn't even know my rear-end was uncovered for the world to see while I was laboring! I was laying on my side (in an attempt to get the epidural to work on the OTHER side) and happened to look behind me and there was my numb rear mooning everyone! Haha! We all got a good laugh out of that!

So, when it came time to push, I was so numb, I couldn't feel what I was doing and how I was doing it.

I started pushing around 5:00. The whole first hour was ineffective because of said epidural. They decided to shut it off and let it wear off slowly. That ended up being a bad idea, but oh well!

I pushed for two solid hours. I was exhausted and sleeping in between contractions (that I could feel at this point)!

They finally decided to get the vacuum extractor out and assist me. It was a last resort, and I didn't really want to use it, but I don't think I had much of a choice. And it helped.

Out he came at 7:05 with a massive cone head and a nice little sore on the top of his head from the vacuum. I was so exhausted, but it was so worth it. He was beautiful and I was instantly so in love with him.

They ended up having to take him for about four hours because we both had fever and they needed to watch him for a bit. I looked like I had been in a boxing match. Because of my ineffective pushing (and not pushing correctly), I popped blood vessels in my eyes and they were almost swolen shut. I have one picture of me like that and nobody (besides Todd) has ever seen it! It was BAD! When my Mom first saw me after the delivery, her first words were "OH MY GOD, LEANN - YOUR EYES!" Thanks, Mom! Haha!

I finally got to hold my sweet little Will at 11:00 that night. As exhausted as I was, I was wide awake when they brought him to me. I don't think I slept that night! I just held him and stared at him! It was truly amazing! Todd and I just couldn't believe that we created a baby and he was finally in our arms and real! I'm definitely not the sappy, sentimental type, but I can't help but get teary-eyed when I think back to this day five years ago and remember every little detail about the day. And to look at Will now and see what a handsome, smart, sweet little man he's become, it's just so wonderful!

Here are a couple of pics in the hospital and his 5-year old picture. Where'd my little boy go??!!



1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Awww....sooo sweet, Happy Birthday, Will!!! ~Amanda